Here I've cut out the bodies out, I like to use muslin because I like the seedy, organic texture it gives. I have embroidered their faces and am just putting all of the textures and colors together to make sure I like the balance of the components.
I cut out the bodices from pastel colored wool felt and embroider them here. This time I decided to use ric-rac for the tails and I kind of love it!
I sewed the bodice to the body.
I wanted to add a little more detail to the tails. I like the added texture the embroidery gives it.
Here is the mer-lady inside out, pinned and ready to be sewn together!
This is the tail. You can see that I add a special backing to the fabric to make it stronger.
After I turn her right side out, I stuff them and hand sew the stuffing hole. I use merino wool roving for the hair because its softer than regular roving and has the consistency of cotton candy (and the color!). I actually sew it onto their heads with matching embroidery thread.
I actually use chalk pastels to make the little cheekies, which you can see below.
Here are the finished tails. I also stitch a little belly button but you can't see that here.
A little decorative stitch on the tails!
And here they are!
They are all ready to be loved and play their roles in a sweet little girl's wild imagination!